[VIC] Metropolitan & Regional Mobile Radio (VICMMR / VICRMR)

MMR, RMR, SAGRN, GWN, NTESTN, WAERN
Bigfella237
Location: In geosynchronous orbit above the Far South Coast of NSW, Australia

Re: Victorian MMR network

Post by Bigfella237 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:25 am

Site 204 of the VIC MMR has been identified as Pakenham and the list updated.

Andrew

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:13 am

Quite a few changes/additions to the list of VICMMR sites today.

It would seem the expansion of the MMR into country Victoria is now well underway too with ten new zone 2 sites being received in the last week or so!

Andrew

Longreach

Post by Longreach » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:05 am

yeah i had a bit of a look too last week seemed to be well and truly outside the melbourne urban area into areas like Kinglake in the north and towards the east into the Gippsland.
cheers
Matt
VK2MRC

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:28 am

system_tech wrote:
Bigfella237 wrote:OK, so what are we calling sites like our GRN Site 150 (Crown Castle) where there are multiple sites all transmitting the same data on the same frequencies at the same time?
I take it you refer to donor sites that have multiple slave outlets?

If so:

* yes they are simulcast in the broad sense of the word.
* but they have discreet enclosed and/or underground coverage areas
* where the RF from one site does not meet the RF from another site due to the physical isolation
* true simulcast traditionionally means the same frequency RF is transmitted from 2 or more sites and there is cross over / overlap coverage into variuous ares but it is steered or segmented by phasing / prescise frequencies / and with P25 a sort of data manipulation.

For a basic explanation, more to do with analogue, but will give you an idea, have a look here:

http://www.signalharbor.com/ttt/00oct/index.html

Cheers

S T
I've been doing a little light reading and I believe the correct name for these 'slave' sites is a BDA site ("bi-directional amplifier") which is defined (according to the ACMA website) as:

"Bi-directional Amplifiers (BDAs) receive incoming radio frequency (RF) signals within particular
frequency bands, for example base transmit and mobile transmit (ie, base receive) frequency
segments in a land mobile system, then amplify and re-transmit them on the same frequencies.
These devices are typically used in conjunction with leaky feeder (LF) cables to provide radio
coverage in enclosed areas; such BDA/LF systems may be stand alone (eg used in an underground
mine) or may be used to provide ‘fill-in’ coverage in shielded locations within the wider service
area of a ‘parent’ land mobile system.

Leaky feeder cables include bi-filar lines, continuously leaky coaxial cables, coaxial cables with
periodic apertures and cables with mode converters or radiating elements (eg ‘discrete’ antennas)
"

Andrew

citabria
Site Admin

Post by citabria » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:54 am

"then amplify and re-transmit them on the same frequencies."

That would imply that its not the same since they use different frequencies..

Sigint

Post by Sigint » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:06 am

Bigfella237 wrote:I've been doing a little light reading and I believe the correct name for these 'slave' sites is a BDA site ("bi-directional amplifier")
Andrew
I don't know the correct name for these 'slave' Sites, but they don't follow the description of BDA operation, in the sense that they all appear to be linked to the 'donor' Site by way of another frequency band (500 MHz in most cases), so some form of cross-band translation is also involved.

"Bi-directional Amplifiers (BDAs) receive incoming radio frequency (RF) signals within particular
frequency bands, for example base transmit and mobile transmit (ie, base receive) frequency
segments in a land mobile system, then amplify and re-transmit them on the same frequencies."

--
Sigint
Last edited by Sigint on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:01 am

I've just updated the list of VIC MMR sites here once again to reflect a number of sites which have been moved to 'Zone 2'.

Also, I suspect the following western sites have already had their site numbers changed or will have them changed shortly (new site numbers yet to be determined):

Site 108 - Geelong & Wandana Heights
Site 122 - Lorne
Site 129 - Mt Cottrell
Site 132 - Mt Gellibrand
Site 134 - Sunbury
Site 135 - Mt Ingoldsby - Anglesea
Site 141 - Peters Hill

Andrew

P.S. Apologies to members of both forums for the quasi-cross posting!

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:54 am

I just finished adding all the VICMMR sites listed in this thread to the Google Map here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 605875&z=7

Can somebody (anybody) have a look and see if you can spotto any mistakes/mis-numbered sites/omissions/etc.? It has been several years since we had anything by way of updates so I suspect our lists are quite out of date?

Andrew

EDIT: Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of the VIC RMR sites?

I thought there was one here somewhere but I can't seem to find it?

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:21 am

I think I now have a reasonably complete list of the VICRMR sites, a little over 200 of them, I just have to do a heap of cross-referencing with the ACMA database before I can get them in the map, but that will take me a while.

That will just leave the SAGRN, but my site list for that is from the old analog days so I'll have to see if I can find something more up to date.

BTW, apparently we're already at the maximum number of "layers" allowed in a google map file, in fact I already had to move some stuff around to make room for what's there now. It's all good for the moment, but if we ever want to add another state (or another "zone" for the NSWGRN) then something will have to go?

Andrew

Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:24 am

All the VICRMR sites are now on our map as well... Way to cover a state Victoria! (Although it certainly helps to have a small state to start with)

I still need to spend some time going through the MMR listings to see if there are any new sites, but the same can be said for all the other states too... Looks like I've got a ton of updates for the QLDGWN to do already! ;)

Andrew